Topic: Overview of Digital Storytelling Trends
- Instructor introduction.
- Student introductions, conversation about their interest/focus in digital storytelling.
- Describe yourself in 7 words exercise.
- Course overview — review syllabus and discuss class goals.
- “Six Word Memoir” exercise.
- Trends in storytelling with focus on digital products, platforms, ecosystems, tools, and new business models.
- Showcase of models of digital storytelling — features that grabbed people’s attention and got them talking/sharing.
Topic: Personal Platforms
- Personal digital platforms, including website and social media.
- Case studies of individuals leveraging their personal digital platforms to convey stories.
- Exercise: showcase a planned or in-progress digital story though a single photograph and a one paragraph summary.
- Strategies to leverage personal digital platforms to experiment with digital storytelling.
Topic: Accessible Platforms — An overview of platforms and ecosystems that allow you to create, showcase, and share digital stories.
- Social Media (Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, Medium, Facebook, Tumblr)
- Websites / Blogs (Squarespace, WordPress, Tumblr)
- Audio.fm, SoundCloud
- Podcasts (iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, Overcast, etc.)
- Teachable (online courses)
- Hooked App
Topic: Social Media Storytelling Deep Dive
- Guest speaker, TBD by class interests.
- The continuing power of the hashtag.
- Facebook Live, Instagram Stories, Twitter Storytelling.
- Digital asset strategy, keeping in mind that each social platform has its own communicative nuance.
- Leveraging social media to foster sharing, submissions, conversation, and collaboration.
- Case Study: #The100DayProject
Topic: New paradigms, new business models, emerging trends in how producers, publishers, and marketers are approaching and leveraging digital storytelling to present information, launch products, and build businesses.
- Native advertising overview.
- Case study: Gumroad’s Small Product Lab.
- Product rollout case studies focusing on feature films and television shows.
- Final projects from class — focusing on a single project, students will showcase a digital story.
Topic: Next Steps — Steps to Take and Actionable Items as the Class Comes to a Close
- Final projects from class (continued) — focusing on a single project, students will showcase a digital story.
- Job search / professional advice and insights with regard to digital storytelling.
- Actionable strategies for sharing and generating interest in your digital storytelling efforts.
Syllabus is subject to change due to current events, guest speaker schedule changes and/or interests of students.